Friday, February 20, 2015

My Favorite Cold Remedy


I think most people hate when they pick up a nasty cold virus, unless you are someone under age 18 who loves getting to stay home from school (like I was!), in which case getting a cold was the best thing to happen ever!  However, I'm not a school aged kid anymore, which means I really don't have time to be sick.  Also, being a singer and vocal coach I really despise that little tickle I feel in my throat, more specifically on my soft palette, that lets me know...... I'm next.

Over the years I have tried all sorts or recipes and hoodoo to keep the cold bugs at bay.  Once I even drank a 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper to heal my insides.  That was a big, burning mistake.  I basically wanted to throw my stomach against a wall and then douse it with a fire extinguisher.  I also used to flush my sinuses with a netti pot.  It feels so good!  Then I heard about a girl getting brain eating parasites in the south from her netti pot because she used tap water, not boiled water.  Ummmm.......I use tap water.  So, since I don't have the patience to boil my water first and then let it cool the netti pot got crossed off my list.

My go to drink over the years, and still is: Honey Lemon Ginger Tea.  Now, here is the catch, it all has to be fresh.  There are tons of teas like this at the grocery store.  I find, however, that it is most effective when the ingredients are fresh and the tea is made from scratch.

Ingredients:

1 lemon
1 inch ginger root, peeled
1 Tablespoon honey (local kind is the best)
hot water

Get a big mug.  Squeeze the lemon juice directly into the mug.  Then grate the ginger directly into the mug as well.  Drop the honey in.  Now pour the hot water into the mug and stir till dissolved.  Enjoy!

I really do swear by this little concoction.  It's pleasant to drink, and it honestly helps me to feel better quickly.  I'm actually drink a mug full right now, as it's a drizzly morning here in London and I've a got a bit of a cold coming on.

Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment