Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Spirit Animals

Spirit Animals seem to be all the rage on social media among us millenials.  There will be a fierce picture on instagram with #SpiritAnimal, or perhaps two people will be posing and the tag will be something like, "finally reunited with my spirit animal."  It's not something I've ever gotten into, but lots of other people think it's cool.  There are tons of quizzes out there to find out what your spirit animal is.  I even found a "What is your Disney Spirit Animal" quiz.  I've taken a few.  I think the last one told me that a pixie was my spirit animal.  When I see posts like this I think, "What really is a spirit animal?"

I found this info on Urban Dictionary.  I guess whenever someone says 'spriti animal' I can't help but think of the patronous from Harry Potter.  I believe that the patronous is supposed to sort of represent you in some sort of way or embody some part of you.  What would your patronous be?  Sometimes I will grab a pencil or a wooden cooking spoon and wave it around while yelling out spells.  I think this is probably quite normal behavior for anyone who believes that if they just try hard enough, the muggleness will eventually wear off and finally they will receive their letter from Hogwarts.  I'm still waiting for mine.

I've been imagining what my patronous or spirt animal would be.  My favorite animal is a sloth, and though I love them and think they are beyond adorable I don't think they would make an exciting spirit animal.  Confession: They might actually be an appropriate weekend spirit animal for me.

Unicorns!  I love unicorns.  I don't know anyone that doesn't like unicorns.  And besides people evolved from unicorns right?!  Didn't you all see the movie "The Last Unicorn?"  It definitely shows a Unicorn becoming human.  I'm joking, obviously, but only about the human part.  In all seriousness, Unicorns are simply gorgeous, magnificent creatures and I would love to have it be my patronous.



The final 'animal' that I would like to be/have as a spirit animal is a mermaid.  I love how mysterious they are.  Also, they are lovely and elegant swimming around in the ocean with their long flowing hair whirling around.  Plus, they are a bit perilous and dangerous luring sailors to troubled waters with their beautiful voices.  My friend Paige and I did a Mermaid photo shoot once, because we basically just want to be mermaid princesses.

Have you ever thought about your spirit animal?  At first I thought it was silly, but I'm pretty sure every lady has thought about some sort or animal or mythical creature they would want to be or that they feel a special connection with.  I feel great when I go swimming and pretend to be a mermaid.  I will keep my legs together and either do the butterfly stroke or a modified breast stroke in order to move through the water like a mermaid.  It's so fun and I feel like a princess of the sea.  I recommend trying it at least once.  And while you are at it, think about what your spirit animal would be and why, it quite fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment